Corruption Essay: Corruption in India is rising day by day. It is one of the mental diseases spreading among the people in today’s world. It is spreading in politics, government, public, industries, and businesses. It has been widely spread in society from ancient times. It has become a public issue that affected India’s economy of the state, local, and central government agencies. It is rising due to the decrease in the intensity of honesty in society. Even after many years of independence, people still fear economic slowdowns, security, inequality, and bias in society.
You can also find more Essay Writing articles on events, persons, sports, technology and many more
Short Essay on Corruption in In 500 Words
Corruption means immorality, greediness, criminal activities, use of power for personal gains, and dishonesty. Nowadays honesty and integrity are necessary for governance, judiciary, workplace, businesses, and relationships. Most of the cases, respectable and high authority people are susceptible to corruption. Corruption reflects greedy and selfish attitudes of people including bribery or embezzlement activities. In every sphere of life, people are taking bribes to process any work. For getting any job or paying tax or in elections or in politics wherever we go everywhere we see only corruption. For example, a person has to pay lakhs of rupees to the higher authorities to get a government job irrespective of fulfilling the eligibility criteria.
Various Methods of Corruption
There are various methods of corruption. Let’s check the below-given methods of corruption.
- Political Corruption refers to the illegal use of political authority to get the benefit of their power for personal gain. Moreover, it is a way of misusing public funds for the politician’s benefit.
- Extortion is another method which means to get money, services, or property illegally. In other words, it is very similar to blackmail as it can be obtained by forcing an individual or an organization.
- Misuse of discretion refers to misusing someone’s power and authority.
Influence Peddling refers to using someone’s influence with the Govt or an authorized person illegally.
- Favoritism is another method which means an individual favoring his/her own relatives or friends to jobs. Due to which, many talented and deserving individuals are not getting jobs.
- Financial fraud is also a method that refers to withholding assets for the aim of theft.
- Data Corruption occurs when an individual damages computer data intentionally by hook or by crook.
- Linguistic corruption refers to a modification within a language which leads to its degradation.
- Bribery is the act of receiving favors and gifts in exchange for personal gain.
Reasons for Corruption
- The reason behind it is the high desire of people to get money, luxury, position and power by hook or by crook.
- Lack of moral and spiritual values in an education system which affected the overall system of society.
- Unemployment and less salary payment to employees lead to corruption.
- Inadequate punishments to criminals.
- The political leaders living a luxurious life without caring for society have ruined the whole society.
- The economy of the country is poor but everyone tries to earn money in a dishonest way.
- Poverty, illiteracy, lack of social and economic policies of the Government.
- People of India are scared to raise their voice against anti-social things prevailing in the society.
How to Control Corruption
- Under the Right to Information (RTI) act, everyone has the right to ask the Government about the necessary information. For example, how the Government utilizes our tax payments. If people will not receive the necessary information, then they can make a complaint to the respective information commission to impose a penalty.
- People can report to the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) if they find any corruption cases or any complaints. CVC has the responsibility of making awareness among people about bribes and corruption.
- A fast track court can help people with speedy justice.
- Strict and stringent laws should be implemented to give severe punishment to the guilty.
- Any public servant caught for corruption must be suspended from a job or flogged in public.
- No one is born corrupt, it is only the system which makes the one corrupt. So, if the system will be changed then corruption can also be decreased.
- The funds collected by the political parties must be tracked.
- The politician’s assets and income must be disclosed to the public.
- People should get more salaries to change their motivation and not engage themselves in bribery.
- Increasing the number of employees in Govt offices can decrease the workload. So that they will not indulge in bribery to complete the work quickly.
- Installing CCTV in workplaces is another way of preventing corruption.
- The government must control inflation to prevent corruption.
Impact of Corruption
- Corruption impacts the growth and development in all aspects like economically, politically and socially. Let’s check in detail about how corruption impacts various sectors.
- Corruption weakens the political system and damages the supreme value of the law which rules society.
- People believe that politics is full of corruption in today’s world. So, people are not believing in government offices, institutes, and democratic systems.
- The lack of growth in the nation’s economy occurs due to the corruption in the system. Moreover, there is red tape ridden administrative procedures, so an individual has to give bribes for every work. We have to follow some strict rules to progress the economic condition. Red tape is also a cause behind the postpone or delay of projects.
- Social inequality and instability is a cause of corruption. The power of unity impacts social corruption such as adulteration in edible products, less weighing of items, and bribery also come out in our society. Poor people suffer a lot as all can not give bribes. That is why crime is rising day by day which challenges law and order in the system.
- Corruption impacts on the exploitation of natural resources and ecological balance. The politician’s, Govt officials, private industries, etc. deteriorate the environment for their advantages. So, deforestation, irregular mining occurs due to the bribes taken by the government officials.
We all should understand that corruption is anti-social, anti-ecological, and anti-national. So, people should fight against corruption to build a corruption-free society. A change in the social, economic, and political system must be required to root out corruption. Strict rules and fines should be implemented and the properties of the corrupted person should be seized. We should prioritize corruption-free society for the growth of our nation. NGOs, media, and political parties should cooperate with the government and take the required decisions to make a corruption-free nation.
FAQs on Corruption
What is Corruption?
Corruption means immorality, greediness, criminal activities, use of power for personal gains, and dishonesty.
Why is corruption rising in society?
It is rising due to the decrease in the intensity of honesty in society.
What are the methods of corruption?
Political Corruption, extortion, misuse of discretion, Influence Peddling, favoritism, financial fraud, linguistic corruption, data corruption, and bribery.
How corruption impacts on the political system?
Corruption weakens the political system and damages the supreme value of the law which rules society.
How corruption impacts on the environment?
Corruption impacts on the exploitation of natural resources and ecological balance. The politician’s, Govt officials, private industries, etc. deteriorate the environment for their advantages. So, deforestation, irregular mining occurs due to the bribes taken by the government officials.