Essay on Badminton: Badminton is the most enjoyable game that can be played by anyone. It is an indoor game which is so famous among people. But, it can be played outdoors as well. Children are also found enjoying Badminton games in the streets and participate in competitions held in school. Children, women, old and young men all can play this game. This game requires two lightweight rackets and a shuttlecock made of bird feathers and cork.
You can also find more Essay Writing articles on events, persons, sports, technology and many more.
Short Essay on My Favourite Game Badminton 500+ words
This game is played in a rectangular field known as a badminton court. The court is divided into two equal parts by placing a net in the center of the court. The width of the court should be 20 feet and the length 44 feet. The main purpose of the game is to hit the shuttlecock with your racket crossing the net and touch the ground of the opponent’s court. This process should be continued until the players get 21 points to win the game. It is the 2nd most popular sport in India.
Playing it requires a lot of energy, speed, and accuracy. Badminton is run by the Badminton Association of India. India has its leading badminton players Sania Nehwal and PV Sindhu. Badminton is similar to a tennis game; the only difference is the ball is lightweight and the net is raised higher. It can be played either by Singles or by Doubles. It is an interesting game, there will be a winner at the end of the game. Even I like to play badminton with my friends, as I feel energetic and active throughout the day.
History of Badminton
Badminton originated in the mid 19th century by the British Army in Puna, India. So, it was known as Poona. Earlier it was played with bat and wool ball, then it played with the shuttlecock. After retirement, British soldiers took the game to England where its rules were formed. It has been taken from the Duke of Beaufort’s house in England, where the first game was played. It was played in England as Battledore and Shuttlecock with many players. After this, the World Badminton Association was formed to manage Badminton.
Badminton sport can be played by 2 or 4 players in the form of Singles, Doubles, and Mixed-Doubles. When 2 players play, 1 player on each side is called Singles. When 4 players play, 2 players on each side are called Doubles. When both men and women take part as a partner in a game it is called Mixed-Doubles. 1 woman and 1 man should be on each side while playing mixed doubles.
The Rackets and shuttlecocks are the equipment required to play Badminton. The racket is made up of carbon fiber composites that have nylon threads that make it lightweight. The end of the racket is a rubber-coated grip which makes it easy to hold. Furthermore, the shuttlecock is made up of goose feathers fixed in a cork shape. A small heavy ball fixed with feathers in a circle on one side of the shuttlecock. Due to which it can be thrown high and moves at a high speed. It is played in a ground which is divided into two equal portions by a net. Badminton shoes are also lightweight for smooth and flexible movement.
Badminton has certain rules which have to be followed by the players.
- This game should be played with consciousness and enthusiasm.
- Players should keep their physical fitness in order to excel in this sport.
- At first, a coin will be tossed to decide which team will serve and which will receive first.
- Both the players should stand diagonally across their cortices.
- The shuttlecock can be hit only once before crossing the net.
- The player should always stand in the center of the court to hit the shuttlecock on each side and the service should be short.
- The player will get a point when he/she drops the shuttlecock on the ground of the opponent’s court.
- If the shuttlecock falls on the ground then finish an innings. Shuttlecock should not touch the net or go out of sleep.
- The referee should monitor the sport and count the points.
- This game is played in 15 or 21 points. It should be decided before starting the game.
- The player who reaches 15 or 21 points wins the match.
- The entire game contains 3 rallies. If both players score 20 then the game is played till the score is 24-22.
- Otherwise, the game is played for 29 points followed by the golden point.
- Players should ensure that the shuttlecock flies towards the opposite direction of the net.
- Moreover, the game has 2 rest periods, the first rest period is of 90 seconds and another is of 5 minutes.
- If a fault occurs then the rally will be over.
- Fault can occur by hitting the net or by touching any part of the shuttlecock.
- The opponent should use their racket to hit it right back.
How to Play Badminton
The players either singles, doubles or mixed-doubles can play Badminton. Before starting the game, the players from both sides have to throw a toss. Then, the player who wins the toss will serve first. One or more strokes begin with service till the shuttle remains in play is termed as Rally. Badminton contains 6 main shots that are clear, smash, drop, serve, forehand and backhand drive. The player uses the rackets to hit a shuttlecock over the net.
The player can hit the shuttlecock only once. Otherwise, if it hits the ground then the opponent will get a point. The shuttlecock should always be hit facing the bottom, as it is the heavier portion. To get a point, the player should hit the shuttlecock in such a way that the opponent cannot be able to hit it back. The shuttlecock can be thrown in the middle of the players to make confusion about playing a shot. Also, a player can score a point if their opponent hits the shuttlecock outside the court or on the net.
Badminton continues to play to a particular number of points until the player reaches the limit to win. Since the points are the number of fouls and the limit is around 20-21 points. Moreover, the point limit will be extended if you find a tie at 20 points in the game. After this, if the player scores the next point then wins the game.
There are many benefits to playing Badminton. Let’s see the below-given benefits of playing it.
- It makes the body energetic, burns calories and decreases obesity.
- It helps in physical and mental exercise.
- It develops athleticism and keeps our body fit.
- It helps in reducing weight and increasing muscle power.
- It helps in reducing anxiety and stress.
- It promotes social interaction and team spirit.
- It lowers the risk of heart, diabetes and high blood pressure.
Essay on Badminton Conclusion
Sports play an important role in human life. As people get physical and mental exercise and also enjoy playing sports. Badminton equipment is not expensive, it is affordable for everyone. Children should play badminton to get enough physical and mental exercise. Playing Badminton strengthens muscles and reduces many diseases.
Nowadays due to COVID-19 Lockdown, people are staying at home and increasing their anxiety and stress. Since Badminton is an indoor game. So, during this COVID-19 lockdown, people can play badminton with their family members to release their bodies from anxiety and stress. People can feel energetic and active throughout the day by playing badminton.
FAQs on Badminton
What is Badminton?
Badminton is the most enjoyable game that can be played by anyone. It is an indoor game which is so famous among people. But, it can be played outdoors as well. Children are also found enjoying Badminton games in the streets and participate in competitions held in school. Children, women, old and young men all can play this game.
What is the equipment required to play Badminton?
The Rackets and shuttlecocks are the equipment required to play Badminton. The racket is made up of carbon fiber composites that have nylon threads that make it lightweight. Furthermore, the shuttlecock is made up of goose feathers fixed in a cork shape. A small heavy ball fixed with feathers in a circle on one side of the shuttlecock.
When did Badminton originate in India?
Badminton originated in the mid 19th century by the British Army in Puna, India. So, it was known as Poona. Earlier it was played with bat and wool ball, then it played with the shuttlecock.
What are the different forms of Badminton?
Badminton sport can be played by 2 or 4 players in the form of Singles, Doubles, and Mixed-Doubles.
What is the main purpose of the Badminton game?
The main purpose of the game is to hit the shuttlecock with your racket crossing the net and touch the ground of the opponent’s court.