ICMR SRF Fellowship 2020: ICMR SRF Fellowship falls under the purview of the Indian Council of Medical Research. The council is the forerunner of biomedical research and one of the largest research bodies in the world. The ICMR is funded by the Government of India through the Department of Health Research, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
The ICMR SRF/ RA Fellowship is awarded to young scientists to enable them to carry out research in medicine or allied fields at the permanent institutes of the council, universities and medical colleges, other biomedical research institutes in India where laboratories and other facilities are readily available to carry out research.
ICMR provides fellowships for:
- Research Associates (RA)
- Senior Research Fellowships (SRF)
The candidates applying for the aforementioned fellowships are instructed to formulate a research plan and submit the same to the council. The duration of the fellowship is 36 months or 3 years. Under special circumstances, the fellowship can be extended to a maximum of 4 years.
Read on to explore the application process, educational qualifications, benefits and other important information about the ICMR SRF Fellowship.
ICMR SRF Fellowship Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for the fellowships are as follows:
- For Senior Research Fellow
- MA (Social Sciences), Master in Medical Social Work, M.Sc (Life Sciences) with two years of research experience
- MBBS/ M.Pharm/ M.E/ M.Tech/ MVSc./ BDS
- For Research Associate
- Registered for DNB or MD/ P.hD/ MBBS with two years of experience.
Age limit (Upper age limit)
- For Senior Research Fellow – 35 years of age
- For Research Associate – 40 years of age. Relaxation of two years (upper age limit) in case of female candidates.
ICMR SRF Fellowship Application Process
- Applications are to be submitted online, on ICMR Website: http://icmrextramural.in/ICMR/.
Candidates have to first register themselves on the portal.
Post-registration, a user ID and password will be provided to login.
Conditions for Applications
Candidates have to ensure that the following conditions are fulfilled or satisfied when applying. If any of the conditions are unfulfilled, the application can be rejected by the ICMR.
- The application must be submitted through online mode by the Fellow with the permission of the Head of the Institution and their Guide where the candidate proposed to work.
- If the candidate is employed, a certificate from the candidate’s employer accepting the fellowship is required.
- The candidate must not draw any salary or stipend from any other institute for the duration of the fellowship. A certificate stating the same must be provided.
- Along with the application, the candidate is required to submit a detailed plan of work.
- The problem proposed to be studied by the candidate must be clearly defined. It should not be a generalization or vague and must be capable of being completed within the duration of the fellowship.
- As defined in the application form, a plan of work must be prepared. Consult a statistician if necessary.
The guide, under whose guidance the work will be executed should clearly certify that the proposed research plan has been prepared after careful consultation with the candidate and the statistician (if necessary).
- The guide must also state that they have examined the scheme and have proved the plan of work, and are willing to direct and guide the proposed research work.
- The HOD, where the research work will be carried out, must certify that the laboratory and equipment are available for the candidate to carry out their research work. Please note that no financial assistance will be provided for the purchase of any equipment.
- If the candidate wants to pursue further research (research associateship), they must enclose a thesis, or a summary of work done so far along with potentially new facets are to be enclosed on a separate sheet.
- If human subjects are involved in the project, the candidate has to ensure that their project is cleared by the Ethical committee of their Institutes.
ICMR SRF Fellowship Rewards and Benefits
- Senior Project Research Fellows: INR 28,000 per month + HRA
- Research Associate (I): INR 36,000 + HRA
- Research Associate (II): INR 38,000 + HRA
- Research Associate (III): INR 40,000 + HRA
Please note: House Rent Allowance is payable with reference to the initial basic pay + grade pay and NPA. Furthermore, house rent allowance is permissible if the place of work falls within the qualifying limits of the Urban/ City agglomeration.
HRA= 30%, 20% and 10% as per the revised classification of cities, i.e., X, Y and Z respectively.
|Classification of Cities in India (Updated 2011)|
|X||Formerly known as Tier-1 (A-1)|
|Y||Formerly known as Tier-2 (B-1, B-2)|
|Z||Formerly known as Tier-3 (C and unclassified cities)|
Important Documents for ICMR SRF Fellowship
The following documents must be readily available when applying for the fellowship:
- Certificate of date of birth
- Valid DSIR of applicable institutes
- Registration for MD/ DNB/ MS/ P.hD
- Informed consent (where required/ applicable)
- Case record proforma, study instruments, scales, questionnaires (if applicable)
- DCGI approval (if applicable)
- Proof/ approval of the submission
- Fellow’s research experience
- Relevant certifications of educational qualifications as prescribed for SRF/ RA
- The availability of facilities in the proposed institution – signed by the HOD and countersigned by the Guide with seal
- Guide details
- Format of research proposal
Important Links for ICMR SRT Fellowship
- Guidelines and Format for Filling up the Fellowship Form
- Guidelines for Registration
- Format for Submission of Proposal
- Complete List of Documents Needed for the Fellowship
Frequently Asked Questions on ICMR SRF Fellowship
How to apply for the ICMR SRF Fellowship?
Interested candidates have to visit the ICMR Website. All applications are to be submitted through online mode: Indian Council of Medical Research.
When is the last date for the application?
The next application window will begin by January 2021 (tentative)