Prime Minister Research Fellowship 2020: Prime Minister Research Fellowship is an initiative of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD). The Prime Minister Research Fellowship (PMRF) provided to the talented candidates of the country for the continuing of Ph.D. in science and technology domains. PMRF offers an opportunity for Ph.D. students in India to pursue research at reputed institutes in India. The reputed institutes include the Indian Institute of Science (IISC), Indian Institute of Technology (IITs), and Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISERs).
Graduate, Post Graduate Students and Research Fellows can also find more Fellowship Articles to explore various fellowships across India to know the funding opportunities.
PMRF will release the online application on the official website of PMRF. Prime Minister Research Fellowship application process will begin in March 2020. So, eligible candidates can fill out the form and apply for this fellowship on or before the 2nd Week of April 2020. The article below provides complete information about the Prime Minister Research Fellowship.
Prime Minister Research Fellowship (PMRF) Details
Prime Minister Research Fellowship (PMRF) can be applied only through online mode. Prime Minister Research Fellowship is for students pursuing Ph.d. programme in. PMRF is a Ph.D. fellowship program offered to meritorious students from NITs, IITs, IISERs, and IISC. These meritorious students will get admission to Ph.D. in IITs and IISC to complete their research. The PMRF application releases twice a year, one in May and the second in December.
The duration of the fellowship is 4 years for integrated students. Whereas, the duration is 5 years for B.Tech. students. Industry participation will be explored under the PMRF Program through CSR funding. So that the industry will be enabled to sponsor the maximum number of fellows. The following are some of the important facts about the PMRF Program.
- The selected candidates will get admission to 19 broad disciplines.
- The IIT or IISC will coordinate the admission process as the nodal institute for that particular broad discipline.
Prime Minister Research Fellowship Programs
Refer to the following 19 broad disciplines available in the PMRF Program.
- Agriculture and Food Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Biological Sciences
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science
- Civil Engineering
- Engineering Design
- Electrical Engineering
- Interdisciplinary Programs in Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Material Science and Metallurgical Engineering
- Mineral, Mining, Coal, and Energy Sector
- Ocean Engineering and Naval Architecture
- Textile Engineering
Prime Minister Research Fellowship Overview
|Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD)
|Prime Minister Research Fellowship (PMRF)
|Purpose of the Fellowship
|provided to the talented candidates of the country for the continuing of Ph.D. in science and technology domains
|Last Date to Submit the Application Form
|2nd Week of April 2020
Prime Minister Research Fellowship Dates
|Start of Application
|2nd Week of March 2020
|Last Date to Submit the Application Form
|2nd Week of April 2020
|Disbursement of Fellowship
|Last Week of May 2020
PMRF Eligibility Criteria
Refer to the below-given Prime Minister Research Fellowship eligibility criteria.
- Candidates should be pursuing the last year of the following degrees. These programs must be in science and technology streams from IISC or IITs or IISERs.
- 4 or 5-year undergraduate or 5-year integrated M.Tech
- 5-year integrated M.Sc. or 2-year M.Sc.
- 5-year undergraduate-postgraduate dual degree
- Candidates must be pursuing or completed the last year of the above-mentioned programs. These programs must be in science and technology streams from any institute/university (except the ones mentioned above) in India. These candidates must have scored a CGPA or CPI of a minimum of 8.0 or similar.
- Candidates must have qualified GATE.
- Candidates must be pursuing or completed M.Tech./MS by Research at IITs/IISC/IISERs. These candidates must have scored a CGPA or CPI of a minimum of 8.0 on a 10-point scale at the end of the 1st semester with at least 4 courses.
- Candidates must have completed the required academic qualifications in the last 3 years.
Prime Minister Research Fellowship Selection Process
The PMRF selection process based on the selection of the received applications by the selection committee. The committee conducts interviews for every subject to select the best candidates. However, the institute will be allocated for the doctoral study as per the selected candidate’s choices. Also, the allocation depends on the available seats and infrastructure. The selected fellows will receive a fellowship amount. Then, the continuation of the next year’s fellowship will be contingent upon successful assessment.
PMRF Hosted Institutions
The following Hosted Institutions will host the selected scholars for the PH.D. Program.
- IIT Jammu
- IIT Tirupati
- IIT Palakkad
- IIT Roorkee
- IIT Patna
- IIT Ropar
- IIT Madras
- IIT Mandi
- IIT Kanpur
- IIT Kharagpur
- IIT Indore
- IIT Jodhpur
- IIT Guwahati
- IIT Hyderabad
- IISC Bangalore
PMRF provides the following benefits to the selected fellows:
Also, each selected candidate will receive a research grant of two Lakh Rupees per annum. This grant provided for 5 years as a travel cost for a research paper presentation.
Prime Minister Research Fellowship Application Process
Candidates can fill and submit the Prime Minister Research Fellowship application on or before the last date. Refer to the below points to apply for the PMRF Program.
- Visit the official website of the Prime Minister Research Fellowship.
- Click on ‘Apply Online’ to fill the PMRF application form.
- Select the qualification option and fill the eligibility section ‘Section 1’.
- Next, fill ‘Section 2’ to provide your personal and educational details.
- Upload photographs and scanned copies of the required documents.
- Then, pay the application fee online through the link provided in the PMRF application form.
- After this, upload the fee e-receipt and submit the PMRF application.
Prime Minister Research Fellowship Application Fee
Candidates must pay the application fee of Rs. 1500/- through SBI Online or SBI e-receipt. Candidates must provide the e-receipt details. The details include SBI Collect Reference Number and SBI Collect e-receipt date.
Documents Required for Prime Minister Research Fellowship
Upload the scanned copy of the essential documents along with the PMRF application. The following are the list of essential documents to apply for the PMRF Program.
- Scanned copy of mark sheets or grade sheets or transcripts
- Scanned copy of GATE qualifying certificate
- Abstract copy up to 1000 words in a pdf file
- Candidates CV of 2 pages in .pdf format only. The CV should emphasize only the candidate’s skills and academic achievements.
- Candidates recent passport size photograph
Prime Minister Research Fellowship Terms and Conditions
- Candidates should write a unique abstract in their own words and limit it up to 1000 words.
- The candidate’s names should appear at the beginning of the abstract.
- The project abstract should highlight the interest and articulate the area of study.
- The abstract should formulate a problem for study. This will be used for assessing the candidate’s analytical and research skills.
- Candidates can choose up to 5 broad disciplines for each of which they will be assessed.
- The referees and candidates have closely interacted with each other during the candidate’s UG or PG Program.
- The referees should be able to comment on the candidate’s educational, research and analytical skills.
Prime Minister Research Fellowship Contact Details
In case of any queries related to PMRF, contact to the below-given details:
- Email ID – [email protected]
- Phone – + 91 8330913053
FAQ’s on Prime Minister Research Fellowship
What is Prime Minister Research Fellowship?
Prime Minister Research Fellowship is an initiative of the Ministry of Human Resource Development. The Prime Minister Research Fellowship (PMRF) aims to attract the talent pool of the country for pursuing research in science and technology domains.
What is the tenure of the Prime Minister Research Fellowship (PMRF)?
The tenure of PMRF is 4 years for students from integrated courses and 5 years for B.Tech. students.
Who can apply for PMRF?
Yes, it is available for Ph.D. students across India to pursue research at reputed institutes in India.
What is the start and last date to submit the PMRF application?
The PMRF application start date is March 2020. Whereas the last date for submission of the PMRF application is the 2nd week of April 2020.
How much application fee will be paid to apply for the PMRF?
Candidates must pay the application fee of Rs. 1500/- through SBI Online or SBI e-receipt.
Is there any reservation in PMRF?
25% for all Ph.D. seats and 37% for IITs.
Who can Apply for PMRF?
Students who have completed, or are pursuing, the final year of four-year undergraduate or five years integrated M. Tech or five years integrated M.Sc. or five-year undergraduate-postgraduate dual degree programs or two year M.Sc.
We hope this article will help you to get more details about the Prime Minister Research Fellowship. If you have queries related to PMRF, then leave it in the comment box to get in touch with us.